If You Have the Time
If you’re interested in climate change what are some of the things you can do with your time to contribute to tackling climate change. The options are many, and we’ve only listed some of them here. In some cases we’ve added links to papers and news stories, and in some cases links into the Climate Web itself, that are particularly pertinent.
Become Politically Active
Activism and Civil Disobedience
Activism and civil disobedience have been very small parts of individual action on climate change to date. As climate change worsens, however, and more and more people get frustrated by the absence of the necessary policies and measures to tackle climate change, it is likely that such activism will grow in importance.
- 2018/10 Climate politicking isn't working. We need climate civil disobedience
- 2018/10 Venice is sinking and the elite does nothing – is civil disobedience the only way to make governments listen on climate change?
- 2016 DISOBEDIENCE (video)
Volunteer Your Expertise
- 2015/7 How techies can volunteer their skills to help nonprofits
- Nerds for Earth - Technical volunteering to help rebalance our climate
- World Volunteer Web: Ever considered online volunteering?
- As a software developer, how can I help fight climate change?
If you're not aware of the idea of "effective altruism," you may want to explore how it could help you advance your climate change objectives.
- Effective altruism
- 2015 MacAskill_Doing Good Better: How Effective Altruism Can Help You Make a Difference
- 2015 Singer_The Most Good You Can Do: How Effective Altruism Is Changing Ideas About Living Ethically
- 2017 Harvard Effective Altruism Student Group_How to Address Climate Change with Effective Giving
- 2018/10 Global poverty, climate change: Future Perfect explores effective ways to fix the world’s biggest problems
- Effective Altruism
- Founders Pledge
Shaming for the Climate
You may be surprised to learn that there is a literature around the topic of "shaming" for climate change, although not really in the context of "how to shame as an individual." It's notable that #Flightshaming in particular has exploded as a hashtag and topic of conversation recently, and has the attention of global airlines. #Cruiseshaming doesn't exist yet, but cannot be far behind!
- 2015/3 Employing shame for environmental change
- 2015/6 Does shame have a place in the climate fight? Jennifer Jacquet thinks so
- 2015/6 Is Shame Too Mean or a Tool for Change?
- 2015/11 Exxon, Edelman, And How Shame Can Lead To Action On Climate – ThinkProgress
- 2017/2 How to Shame America's Most Powerful Climate Change Deniers
- 2019/1 The Fight Against Racism Shows How to Combat Climate Denial
- 2019/3 Shame won’t stop climate change
- 2019/5 We Need to Stop Sustainability Shaming
Write About Climate Change
Climate fiction has suddenly become a popular genre for people concerned about climate change. The CliFi genre is growing rapidly. To explore further, check out our dedicated CliFi micro-site.